H.E. Ahmad Obeidat founded in 1985. A former Prime Minister, Intelligence Chief, Minister of Defense and Minister of Interior, he is an expert in legislative and reform policy, constitutional law, environmental law, human rights law and security. His Excellency's expertise in governance stems from decades in public service. He is a pioneer in the advancement of democracy, human rights and the rule of law in Jordan, and is considered one of the early environmentalists of the region.
Legislative and Policy Reform Experience:
- Prime Minister of Jordan, 1984-1985.
- Minister of Defense, 1984-1985.
As Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, His Excellency pursued an anti-corruption and accountability reform agenda.
- Minister of Interior, 1982-1984.
- Director of the Jordanian General Intelligence Department, 1974-1982.
- Senator and Deputy Speaker, 1998-2001.
- Senator, Jordan's Upper House of Parliament, 1985-1986 & 1988-1994.
Constitutional and Administrative Law, Human Rights Law Experience:
- Chairman of the Royal Committee for Jordan's National Charter, 1990-1991 (from inception until adoption of the Charter).
His Excellency headed a 60-member commission appointed by His Majesty King Hussein, after 22 years of Martial Law, to draft a National Charter that would serve as the basis of democracy in Jordan. The National Charter and the Jordanian Constitution together are the guidelines for the conduct of political party activity in Jordan. The Charter was adopted in June 1991.
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the National Center for Human Rights, 2002-present.
- Deputy Chairman of the Royal Commission for Human Rights, 2000-2002.
- Deputy Chairman of the Royal Commission for Judicial Reform.
His Excellency was Deputy Chairman of the Judicial Reform Commission, Deputy Chairman of the Royal Commission for Human Rights, and Chairman of the National Center for Human Rights. The National Center for Human Rights, established pursuant to the findings of the Human Rights Commission, was the first human rights organization in Jordan. His Excellency continues to serve as its head.
Environmental Law and Environment Protection Experience:
- Is a United Nations Environment Program Goodwill Ambassador.
- Founder and the current President of the Jordan Environment Society, the largest environment protection NGO in Jordan. The Jordan Environment Society works closely with the House of Representatives' Health and Environment Committee to pass laws and develop regulations to protect the environment.
- Established the Jordanian Society for the Control of Environmental Pollution (JSCEP) in 1989. The JSCEP is a non-governmental, non-profit organization devoted to public education, scientific research and policy advocacy on environmental concerns.
Baghdad University, Faculty of Law, Iraq; LL.B. (1961)
Arabic and English